Mandate of the Somalia NGO Consortium
The original Mandate was officially adopted by members in 2006 and has been effective since January 2007. It was subsequently updated in 2011 and 2013 and has been in effect in this present version from 1 February 2014.
- Transparency: Through effective policies, procedures and structures we ensure to be open and accountable to our members and stakeholders.
- Do no harm: We are committed to ethical and responsible actions and activities in the service of communities and people.
- Empowerment: In all our actions we strive to develop people's capacity and confidence to increase the strength of individuals and communities.
- Equity: We promote fairness in all our actions as guided by our mandate.
- Impartiality: We, in all our interactions, show no bias or prejudice against any particular person or group.
- Accountability: Through our policies and procedures, and in all our actions, we are transparent and accountable, answering to our partners, membership and stakeholders.
The NGO Consortium facilitates the exchange, production and provision of information for members to make informed decisions on operational and strategic issues, and creates a platform for carrying out joint advocacy issues.
Full Membership Requirements
- International or National NGO
- Programmes working in Somalia
- Signatory to International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies Code of Conduct
- Commitment to adhere to the vision and mandate, as well as active participation
- Financial accountability shown through audit
- Payment of annual membership fee
- Signatory to the Somalia NGO Consortium Mandate
- Not currently under suspension for fraud by any United Nations entity in Somalia and/or not listed as a UN designated entity as verified by the UN Risk Management Unit