Daryeel Bulsho Guud
Daryeel Bulsho Guud (DBG) is a locally based organisation in Somalia that has evolved from Diakonie Emergency Aid / Bread for the World. The work in Somalia was started by Diakonie / Caritas Germany (DCG) in 1992 by implementing development programmes and offering humanitarian assistance. In March 1996, Caritas Germany decided to pull out of Somalia as a show of solidarity with Caritas Italy who lost a staff member in Merca in the Lower Shabelle Region of Somalia. Although Caritas Germany pulled out, they have continued to significantly support DBG programmes over the years. In April 1996, the vacuum left by Caritas Germany was filled by Bread for the World to form Diakonie / Bread for the World Germany (DBG). This partnership continued until 1st January 2004, when DBG was inaugurated as Daryeel Bulsho Guud. These are Somali words that mean Community Service for All. Although DBG is a national NGO in Somalia, it still maintains close partnership with both Diakonie Emergency Aid and Bread for the World who are members in its Board.
The policy of working with local staff enables DBG Somalia operations always to continue even when the civil war affects other international organizations. Its strong identity as a neutral and multi-clan based organization has gained DBG a good reputation and facilitated its work in its project areas.
DBG's mission is to respond to emergencies and development needs in Somalia and support communities in situations of crisis through development programmes co-operatively implemented. DBG so far implements programmes in Benadir (Mogadishu & its environs), Lower & Middle Shabelle Regions.
DBG has carried out projects that include but are not limited to the following sectors:
1. Food Security through rural agricultural development, irrigation canals, food aid & flood management. Since 1997 to date, the following number of small-scale farm households & families have benefited from Food Security projects implemented by DBG. (Each family has approximately 5-6 members)
2. Rehabilitation of Infrastructure for improved access (roads & bridges), hygiene (wells) and security (street lighting).
3. Income Generation for the creation of jobs, support livelihoods and contribute to the disarmament and peace.
4. Educational / Vocational Training through rehabilitation of buildings and their (institutional) infrastructure.
5. Emergency Aid to victims of either natural or man made disasters e.g. drought, floods etc
6. Reconciliation and Demobilisation through facilitation of peace talks, supporting demobilised militia and holding of peace rallies.
Plans: 1. Food security through rural agricultural development, rehabilitation of irrigation canals, food aid & flood management. Since 1997 to date, a large number of small-scale farm households & families have benefited from Food Security projects implemented by DBG (more information in detailed reports).
2. Medical supplies, hygienic water supply (wells and protected water distribution places)
3. Rehabilitation of Infrastructure for improved access (roads & bridges) and security (street lightning).
4. Income Generation for the creation of jobs, support livelihoods and contribute to disarmament and peace.
5. Educational and Vocational Training through rehabilitation of buildings and their (institutional) infrastructure.
6. Emergency Aid (food, water, shelter, protection) to victims of either natural or man made disasters e.g. droughts, floods etc.
7. Reconciliation and Demobilisation through facilitation of peace talks, supporting demobilised militia and holding of peace rallies.
Donors: ACT InternationalGerman Foreign OfficeAuswartiges Amt GermanyBread for the WorldDiakonie Emergency AidCaritas Germany
Membership of the Somalia NGO Consortium in renewable annually. All international and
national members work in Somalia.
Aadamiga Somalia (AS)
Action Contre La Faim (ACF)
Action in Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL)
ActionAid International Somaliland (AAIS)
Adventist Development and Relief Agency Somalia (ADRA Somalia)
Africa Educational Trust (AET)
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT SOLUTIONS (Adeso)
African Rural Advancement Organization (ARAO)
Agency for Technical Co-operation and Development (ACTED)
Al-Khair Foundation (AKF)
AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE (AFSC)
American Refugee Committee (ARC)
Amnesty International (AI)
Arc Solutions (AS)
Bani'Adam Relief and Development Agency (Bani'Adam)
CARE INTERNATIONAL-SOMALIA (CARE SOM)
Chemonics International (CI)
CHRISTIAN AID (CA)
Comitato Collaborazione Medica (CCM)
Comitato Collaborazione Medica (CCM Italy)
Comitato Internazionale per lo Sviluppo dei Popoli (CISP)
Concern Worldwide Somalia
Cooperative Assistance for Relief Everywhere (CARE)
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Daryeel Bulsho Guud (DBG)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammen (GIZ)
Development Initiative Access Link (DIAL) (DIAL Africa)
Diakonia Sweden (DS)
Education, Relief and Development (ERD)
European Committee for Training and Agriculture (CEFA)
FORUM FOR AFRICAN WOMEN EDUCATIONALISTS - SOMALIA (FAWESOM)
Gargaar Relief and Development Organization (GREDO)
German Red Cross (GRC)
GLOBAL YOUTH ADVOCACY ORGANIZATION (GYA)
Handicap Initiative Support and Network (HISAN)
handicap International (HI)
HORN OF AFRICA AID AND DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (HADO)
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA)
Ilays Aid Foundation (Empowering the Community)
Integrated Development Focus (IDF)
Internationa Committee for the Development of People (CISP)
International Aid Services (IAS)
International Media Support (IMS)
International Medical Corps (IMC)
International Peacebuilding Alliance (Interpeace)
INTERNATIONAL REPUBLICAN INSTITUTE (IRI)
International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Internews Somalia (Internews)
Intersos Humanitarian Aid Organisation (INTERSOS)
ISLAMIC RELIEF SOMALIA PROGRAME (IRSP)
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW)
Juba Foundation (JF)
Local Initiatives For Education International (LIFE International)
MEDECINS DU MONDE - FRANCE (MDM-F)
Medical Emergency Relief International (MERLIN)
Mercy Corps (MC)
Mercy USA for Aid and Development (Mercy-USA, MUSA)
Mines Advisory Group (MAG)
Muslim Aid (MA)
Nomadi Assistance for Peace and Development (NAPAD)
Nordic International Support Foundation (NISFoundation)
Norwegian Lutheran Mission East Africa (NLM EA)
NORWEGIAN PEOPLES AID - HOA (NPA)
NORWEGIAN REFUGEE COUNCIL (NRC)
One Earth Future Foundation (OEF)
Oxfam GB (OXGB)
Oxfam Novib (ON)
Physicians Across Continents (PAC)
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH)
Population Service International (PSI)
Premiere Urgence - Aide Medicale Internationale (PU-AMI)
Relief International (RI)
Rift Valley Institute (RVI)
Rural Education and Agriculture Development Organi (READO)
Save Somali Women and Children (SSWC)
Save the Children Somalia / Somaliland (SCI)
SECOURS ISLAMIQUE FRANCE (SIF)
SHILALE REHABILITATION AND ECOLOGICAL CONCERN (SHILCON)
Solidarites international (SI)
Somalia NGO Consortium (NGO)
SOMALILAND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATIO (SOYDAVO)
SOS Children's Villages International (SOS CVI)
STS International Solidarity (STS)
Taakulo Somaliland Community (TASCO)
TERRA NUOVA (TN)
TROPICAL HEALTH AND EDUCATION TRUST (THET)
VETERINAIRES SANS FRONTIERES GERMANY (VSF-GERMANY)
Veterinaires Sans Frontieres Germany (VSF-Germany)
Veterinaires Sans Frontieres Suisse (VSF-Suisse)
Wajir South Development Association (WASDA)
WAMO RELIEF AND REHABILITATION SERVICES (WRRS)
WORLD CONCERN DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (WCDO)
World Concern International
World Relief Germany (WRG)