One Earth Future is a self-funded, private operating foundation seeking to create a more peaceful world through collaborative, data-driven initiatives. OEF is deeply committed to building stability in Somali through programing that focuses on enhancing maritime cooperation, creating sustainable jobs, and contributing research on these topics.
Highlights from OEF’s work in 2017 included:
- Hosting two major forums in Hargeisa and Garowe that brought together over 800 entrepreneurs, investors, international organizations, and government officials to discuss investment, renewable energy, and the fishing sector
- Connecting 34 Somali businesses to capital that is projected to create 408 new permanent jobs
- Offering tailored business development services to 20 small and medium sized Somali enterprises
- Completing the Somali AgriFood Fund, a seed capital matching investment fund that leveraged capital totaling $2,285,615 (of which $992,640 was diaspora investment). and creating 452 jobs
- Launching Project Badweyn, an online interactive map of Somali coastal resources
- Contributing to research on domestic and foreign fish catches off the Somali Coast
- Publishing the Stable Seas, Somali Waters research report that provides an analysis of maritime security issues in the region
Learn more about OEF and its Oceans Beyond Piracy, Shuraako, Secure Fisheries and Research programs’ work in Somalia at oneearthfuture.org.